Sunday, May 27, 2007

 

The View From Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg

Monday, April 09, 2007

Konigsburg won a Newbury Award for this novel and I can certainly see why. The book is alive with great characters including the four six-graders who make up the winning quiz-bowl team and their teacher. Each child has a chapter which tells a story that leads to their journey to become one of the group:
"Noah, who quite by accident, was the best man at the wedding of Ethan's grandmother and Nadia's grandfather.
Nadia, a hybrid with a halo of red hair, a dog that's a genius and a fondness for baby turtles.
Ethan, the silent second son of one of Epiphany's oldest families, who discovers he likes halos, and
Julian, the strangest person on the school bus, who starts everything by inviting the others to a tea party. "
Mrs. Olinski, who was paralyzed in an auto accident, chooses these four for her team for no reason that she can explain, but it works. The book is written for 9 to 12 year-olds, but it can be enjoyed by any age. It's not sappy or silly, just well-written with an interesting plot. Delightful!
Rating: 4.50
Posted by Framed at 6:31 PM

7 comments:
booklogged said...
I really enjoyed this book a lot. Very touching and sweet. I liked the loose ends that all came together in the end.
11:20 PM
Joy said...
Thanks Framed! I will have to add this to my list of children's books to read. Sounds good.BTW ~ How did you come up with your name Framed and Booked? What does it mean? Just curious. :)
8:36 AM
SuziQoregon said...
I remember reading From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler multiple times when I was a kid. I never ready anything else by this author, though. Might have to take a look.
10:02 PM
Nan said...
This is one of my favorite books, and I think I've read it three times! I love the connections, the story, the writing. Clever and warm and kind-spirited. Nice posting.
1:45 PM
nessie said...
My all time fav has always been The Giver. Some say it is too advanced for grade six but I think its great introduction to great lit.
6:44 PM
Framed said...
Joy, I described coming up with Framed on my "Life's a Picture" blog on the very first posting. For this blog, I wanted to use Framed and relate it to books.I really love hearing other suggestions for books for this age group. They are so fun to read.
8:03 PM
Bellezza said...
I had a hard time with this book when I read it a few years ago. I think I just didn't get it! But, I didn't like her lost-in-the-library or museum or whatever it was either, and they both won a Newbery so what do I know? :)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?