Tuesday, July 24, 2007

 

Amnesia by G H Ephron

Friday, June 08, 2007

AMNESIA
By G H Ephron
I found this book while looking for possibilities for the Medical Mystery Challenge. It turns out that G H Ephron is actually two people: Hallie Ephron, a writer, and A A Greeley, a neuropsychologist. They make a great team for this is a very enjoyable mystery. Good news--there are several more in the series.
Dr. Peter Zak tries to continue with his life by working hard as a behaviorial pshychologist and obsessively rowing in the Charles River after his wife is murdered in their home while he is making tea in the kitchen. His guilt at not saving Kate darkens his life and causes him to give up forensic psychology for two years. The the case of Sylvia Jackson pulls him back in. Sylvia was shot in the head and left for dead after witnessing the brutal murder of her boyfriend. Waking from a coma of six weeks, she remembers nothing for about three months, then suddenly she accuses her ex-husband of the deed. Peter agrees to test her to determine if her memories are valid under the circumstances. While I didn't care for Sylvia or her ex-husband, Stuart; I found Peter Zak to be a fascinating character along with his colleagues and his eccentric mother. This is a well-written mystery with interesting tidbits about mental illness, Peter's very believable grief, a great plot with an intriguing twist and a suspenseful ending. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the book and plan to read the others.
Rating: 4.25
Posted by Framed at 8:54 PM

8 comments:
Literary Feline said...
Good news indeed! This is one that's been on my TBR shelf for what seems like forever and I was considering whether to read it for this challenge. I am so glad you enjoyed it.
6/08/2007 10:37 PM
Joy said...
Ewww, this sounds like something I would like! I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
6/09/2007 5:26 AM
SuziQoregon said...
Oh cool! I'm always open for a new mystery series!! I'm putting this one on the possibilities list!!
6/09/2007 8:10 AM
Lynne said...
Sounds interesting. I've never heard of this book before.
6/09/2007 12:51 PM
booklogged said...
Hooray for mysteries! I think co-authoring a book would be harder than writing one on your own. Are you going to bookmooch this book? Have you started bookmooching yet. I remember you mentioning it.
6/09/2007 4:50 PM
Framed said...
Booklogged, I checked this one out at the library so you can find it there.
6/10/2007 8:37 AM
twiga92 said...
Interesting. The name Peter Zak sounds familiar so I may have read about this book before. I'm such a sucker for series books!
6/13/2007 5:03 AM
Bookfool said...
I've never heard of this author or series, but it sounds like my kind of book. Thanks!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?