Tuesday, July 24, 2007

 

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett

Thursday, June 28, 2007

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett
This is the first time I've reviewed a book that I listened to on CD. And I have mixed feelings about it. First of all, I loved listening to Stephen Briggs' narration. He has a lovely English accent and it was easy to know which character was speaking at any given time. When the Nac Mac Feegles(small blue pictsies) speak with their Scottish burr, I was enchanted. Truly, when Rob Anybody, the leader of the Feegles, describes the letters he has just learned to draw (the R is a walking fat man while the P is a standing fat man) I laughed so hard. It was a imaginative and well-told tale of a young girl who leaves home to begin her witch's training and is stalked by an invisible and menacing creature. (A hiver, I think) So there was much humor and suspense, the fantasy was great, the Feegles delightful. Listening to the CD on the trip to Salt Lake and back was just right. Still, I couldn't mark any passages I particularly enjoyed and I'm not sure if I'm spelling everything right. And there was one CD left when I reached home. I listened to it while reading e-mails and blogs but I feel the story was one CD too long. I really couldn't get into that ending. I recently purchased an IPod Shuffle so I could listen to books on CD while walking. Hopefully, I will be able to enjoy the stores while getting much needed exercise. There's the possibility that I will walk myself into oblivion while listening to a really good story. I think I will look into more Pratchett stories for that purpose, although reading them now will always include the rolling R's of the Nac Mac Feegles. Rating: 4
Posted by Framed at 5:22 PM

1 comments:
Booklogged said...
Our library doesn't have any adult Pratchett books. Maybe if you ILL one and I do, we can exchange them before returning them to the library. I really enjoy Pratchett.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?