Tuesday, July 24, 2007

 

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Friday, June 01, 2007

WALK TWO MOONS
by Sharon Creech
Lately, I've been reading books that seem quite disappointing at first but sneak up on you when you least suspect it. "Walk Two Moons" was just that way for me. Sal, a thirteen-year-old, tells of her frustration with life as her father moves the two of them to Ohio because he can no longer deal with the sad memories of their home in Bybanks, Kentucky after his wife and Sal's mother leaves them. On a trip to see her mother with her grandparents, Sal shares the stories of her friend, Phoebe, an odd girl who becomes her friend in Ohio. Sometime, along the trail of this road trip, I became immersed in this lovely tale about loss, coming of age, the quality of friendship, and the importance of family. Phoebe is so anal-retentive, it's hilarious. Then, there's Ben, a boy in Sal's class who keeps trying to kiss her but keeps missing. So cute. I can certainly understand why this book won a Newberry Award as it has several meaningful messages for pre-teens. "Walk Two Moons" was recommended to me by a friend who teaches kids in custody at the detention center. I hope they enjoy it as much as I did.
Rating: 4.25
Posted by Framed at 6:46 PM

6 comments:
booklogged said...
One I need to read. You make it sound pretty darn good.
6/02/2007 12:31 AM
Joy said...
Hi! Oh good you liked it. I have this on my list of Newbery books I want to read. I'm just not sure if I'm going to sign up for any challenges. We'll see. Needless to say, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
6/02/2007 5:28 AM
tanabata said...
I loved this when I read it a couple of years ago!
6/02/2007 8:15 AM
sally906 said...
I have this on my list to read for this challenge - liked the blurb and looks like your review makes it good choice :)
6/02/2007 9:30 PM
Petunia said...
I haven't read it and it didn't make it onto my Newbery Challenge list but it will likely be read before the challenge is over. Thanks for the inticing review.
6/05/2007 10:37 AM
Bookfool said...
I'm pretty sure we have a copy of this, but I've yet to read it. So glad to hear you enjoyed it. I think Newbery books are consistently among the most excellent award-winners.
6/15/2007 12:39 PM

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?