Saturday, August 04, 2007

 

Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Right off the bat, I dislike Andy Carpenter, the hero and narrator of Rosenfelt's novel. He is a sleazy lawyer who wins cases by pulling cheap tricks. But Andy grows on you. Turns out he may do tricks to get his clients off, but he is also a brilliant defense attorney defending a man on Death Row who gets a retrial based on a technicality. The District Attorney who got Willie Miller convicted seven years earlier is Andy's father who asks Andy to defend Willie even though he hasn't a prayer of winning. Thus begins a series of events in which Andy finds himself framed, threatened and even shot at. The court room scenes had me riveted. Apparently, Andy is also a good-looking man, so romantic complications follow the rest of the action. I found this book to be a great mystery with wonderful twists and turns. By the end of the story, I decided that I really did like Andy and I definitely liked this book.
Rating: 4.5
Posted by Framed at 7:23 PM

5 comments:
Literary Feline said...
Thank you, Framed, for beginning your review the way you did. Certain perspnalities and behaviors by main characters can detract from a book I am reading, but when I'm forewarned I can get past that quickly. I've heard mostly great things about this one and so am looking forward to reading it. Great review!
7/12/2007 11:21 PM
Joy said...
I enjoyed his fifth book DEAD CENTER. I hope to start at the beginning sometime. :) Glad you liked it, Framed.
7/13/2007 5:53 AM
SuziQoregon said...
I'm glad to hear you liked it. I discovered Andy a few months ago and have read the first two in the series. I'll be reading #3 soon.
7/13/2007 12:57 PM
Carrie K said...
I'm glad to hear you liked it too, I'd just discovered David Rosenfelt recently and really enjoyed the first 3 in the series (and then got distracted.) It's possibly his love for Tara was the clincher for me.
7/13/2007 5:17 PM
Bookfool said...
I loved this one and can't wait to get my mitts on the second.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?