Saturday, November 03, 2007

 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J K Rowling

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I talked with a co-worker today who has never read any of the Harry Potter books. (gasp) She told me that Harry Potter must die in this book because that is the only way that there won't be any sequels. I just smiled mysteriously and moved on. That's right, I don't believe in spoilers and she may read it someday. So what can I say about this book without giving anything away. Oh, there's lots. Let's start with what I didn't care for: 1. Two years between reading Book 6 and this one is way too long. I've forgotten all. 2. The pictures in this book look a lot more like Daniel Radcliffe than they did in Book 1. Don't get me wrong, I like Daniel Radcliffe, but still. 3. The wonder, enchantment and charm that hooked me in the first books isn't nearly as intense. The last few of the series are darker and appeal more to older teens than younger. Let's face it, I'm still a kid at heart. 4. Ron's whining. I know it was appropriate behavior for a 17-year-old under the circumstances, but I've always found his whining annoying. He does step it up more in this book when he quits whining and that was impressive. 5. Why aren't the U.S. book covers as neat as the ones in the UK?
I find these to be very minor complaints, just barely worth mentioning. Please don't let them stop you from reading a great book. So what did I like? 1. Harry's a babe. What else can I say? 2. The Weasley twins are hilarious. 3. The answer to several things that had puzzled me throughout the series. It's nice that my guesses were right several times. 4. The suspense was pretty intense and Rowling built it up very well. She really does spin a fantastic yarn. Although, there was some predictability with the ending, there were still enough surprises to keep things interesting. While Rowling has a great marketing machine who really built up this book, I was not disappointed in the least. 5. This book really is a great finale to the series. All the details are wrapped up and you even get to learn more about wizardry and it's history. 6. Vold . . . whoops, He Who Can't Be Named is one of the great villains of all times.
A couple of quotes I liked:
"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love."
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
My overall feeling is one of sadness that the story is over. I enjoyed anticipating the next installment. I've read the first book a couple of times and still felt wonder at the creativity of the story, so I hope when I visit Hogwarts again, that wonder will still come through. I fully intend to read the whole series again from start to finish. And, of course, there's always the movies. Rating: 4.75
Posted by Framed at 8:24 PM

10 comments:
Alyson said...
Boy, that second quote has the potential to start a multitude of theories for those who haven't read it yet.I wish everyone had read it so we could discuss it in more detail, but oh well.
7/25/2007 9:24 PM
Candace Salima (LDS Nora Roberts) said...
It is a fantastic book. I enjoyed it immensely. I am going to read them all, beginning to finish, as well.My favorite part is in the battle to end all battles, Ron and Hermione having a moment while Harry reminds them "we are in the middle of a war here. Can't this wait?" I still giggle every time I think about it.
7/26/2007 7:10 AM
Bellezza said...
This post has been removed by a blog administrator.
7/26/2007 7:34 AM
Dewey said...
This post has been removed by a blog administrator.
7/26/2007 2:20 PM
Framed said...
This post has been removed by the author.
7/26/2007 6:45 PM
Framed said...
Belleeza and Dewey, Thanks so much for your comments but I felt I needed to delete them as they did contain spoilers for those who haven't read the book yet. Hopefully, we can discuss the book without touching the all-important ending. I'd love to hear how you liked the ending if you can do without giving anything away. P. S. Dewey, I think your point is debatable on a very picky level.
7/26/2007 6:52 PM
Framed said...
Alyson, I see what you mean. Could be interesting. Candace, That was hilarious. I feel the book needed a few more light moments like this.
7/26/2007 6:54 PM
MyUtopia said...
I am one of those freak readers who hasn't read the series. But since everyone else in the free world has I have heard different story lines and plots from the various books through out the years.
7/27/2007 11:57 AM
Mercy's Maid said...
I enjoyed your review!I think my favorite "comic relief" moment was during the radio show when there was a disagreement on what one of the characters' code name should be. It made me giggle. :)
7/28/2007 9:33 AM
Literary Feline said...
I was reading your review and I turned to my husband and said, "There were pictures?" He, of course, replied that there were and that if I thought about it, I would be able to figure out where. I think I breezed through the chapters so fast I didn't even notice (a common habit of mine--I don't always know when I'm moving from one chapter to another). I did go back and look at the pictures though and have to agree, Harry does look an awful lot like Daniel Radcliffe.I agree with many of the points you made in your review. It was a good finale, even with its flaws. Someday I am sure I will go back and reread the books, but it won't be any time soon.
7/28/2007 11:22 AM

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?