Sunday, November 04, 2007

 

A THOUSAND SPENDID SUNS by Khaled Hosseini

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I spent the last two days listening to the audio version of this book while cleaning house and crocheting. And I've learned a few things about myself and audio books. I do my best listening while I'm driving or crocheting, maybe when I get around to walking with my iPod, other activities tend to distract me and I have to turn the player up really loud so I can hear it all over the house. This particular book fills 11 discs, and the first five really dragged for me. I found the actress's reading to be a little monotone and the book has a very slow start, setting the stage and delving deeply into the two main characters, Miriam and Laila. But I gradually found myself pulled into the compelling and tragic lives of these two very different women who are thrown together by circumstances and then find each other to be a true sister and friend. The book covers the last thirty years of history in Afghanistan, from the Russian invasion to the overthrow of the Taliban after 9/11, and how each woman's life changes along with the changes in regimes. It is an interesting look into a different culture and way of life. Hosseini is to be commended by how well he is able look into a woman's mind and reveal her inner thoughts and feelings, most of which I could identify and sympathize with. Another problem with listening to the book was that I was unable to mark some quotes although there were some beautiful lines. I'm glad that I have "The Kite Runner" in printed form. Something tells me I will enjoy that format even more.
Rating: 4
Posted by Framed at 5:58 PM

11 comments:
Candace Salima (LDS Nora Roberts) said...
I'm so glad you reviewed this book. I've been trying to decide whether to buy it or not. I really don't like book that take chapters and chapters to get into. So I'm not going spend my book money on this. You rock!
8/08/2007 2:34 PM
Framed said...
Candace, eveyone else has raved about this book so I suspect I would have got into it easier if I had read it and not been so easily distracted. Still there are libraries. . .
8/08/2007 8:04 PM
Carrie K said...
It's the raving that sets my expectations up for a fall, but OTOH, I did really like The Kite Runner even if I wanted to whackthe protagonist n the back of the head half the book. And still wanted to know what happened.That's part of my problem with audiobooks. In the car, perfect. Anywhere else, even knitting, I tend to get really distracted.
8/08/2007 9:34 PM
Booklogged said...
What a coincidence. Both of us posting this book on the same day and both listening to it instead of reading it. I wish I didn't have stacks of books waiting to be read because I would like to go back and actually "read" this one.I was concerned that it wouldn't live up to the first book, but I think it was pretty close. I definitely loved the Kite Runner. It will be interesting to hear what you think having read Splendid Suns first.
8/09/2007 11:59 AM
SuziQoregon said...
I'm picky about what I'll listen to vs. read. I do most of my listening while commuting and dfiving around town in 10-20 minute segments. I almost exclusively listen to light mysteries. Anything too intense or heavy won't work as an audiobook for me (just my preference).
8/09/2007 3:31 PM
sally906 said...
As much as I loved this book and gave it an A rating. it just dipped out on the 'WoW' factor when compared to 'The Kite Runner' i am jealous that you will get the joy of reading it for the first time :)
8/10/2007 11:43 PM
Bellezza said...
I will never forget Kite Runner. It sticks with me in much the same way as Atonement did. You are brave to listen to the audio; I always miss more auditorally than I do when I read the text myself, but it's nice to have your hands free (for crochet).
8/12/2007 5:11 PM
Melody said...
A great blog and so many interesting reading challenges! I'll be adding your link onto my blogroll. :) Please visit mine if you've the chance.BTW, I've this book in my pile, and I've The Kite Runner too. Have read great reviews about them, so I can't wait to read The Kite Runner during one of the reading challenges. ;)
8/13/2007 6:30 PM
Framed said...
I'm glad to hear that most of you like "the Kite runner" better. I really need to get to it soon. Bellezza, I just mooched "the Atonement." So I'll compare notes with you on that one.
8/14/2007 7:37 PM
Mindy Withrow said...
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment at my review of this book. I read it (as opposed to audio) and still thought it got off to a slow start. Do hope you read Kite Runner soon -- it's superb!
8/16/2007 10:02 AM
Mercy's Maid said...
I also listened to this on audio book and I just wrote a review of it yesterday. This was my first time trying an audio book, and I think I would have enjoyed the book more if it had been an actual book. I felt like I didn't have time to let things sink in very well or something.Still an excellent book, though. The kind that you keep thinking about after you finish it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?