Wednesday, January 16, 2008

 

East by Edith Pattou

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Based on a Norwegian folk tale, this 500 -page novel explores the character of Rose, the daughter of a indulgent father and a very superstitious mother. The story involves many elements of travel, from the four directions of the globe, the wind rose found on maps, maps themselves, and journeys from Norway to France to Greenland and the North Pole. Pattou uses a literary format she found after reading "The Poisonwood Bible" (not one of my favorites) which works very well in this story. The narrators alternate from the father; the older brother; Rose herself; the Troll Queen; and the White Bear who speaks in poetry. This style wonderfully captures the essence of these five characters as well giving you insight into other characters as you view them from different perspectives. We also meet four characters helping Rose on her journey who symbolize the four points of the compass, East, South, West and finally North. As in Shannon Hale's "The Goose Girl", the fairy tale aspects are obvious but in such a charming and delightful manner. And Pattou's descriptions of the journey to the hidden land of the Trolls and the Ice Palace are freezingly beautiful. In a cast of fascinating characters, Rose stands out from the moment of her North-facing birth to her attempt to rescue the White Bear. I kept putting off reading this book as it seemed too long, and then raced through it in two days. What an elegant tale of family, travel, love and adventure with just the right touch of enchantment and suspense. Rating: 5

Posted by Framed at 6:41 PM



5 comments:
Eva said...
Thanks for reviewing this book! It's now on my TBR list-it sounds great. :)
My bookmooch account is astripedarmchair, but I go by Shari since it's my legal first name and I don't want to worry about the postal system! I prefer Eva, though. ;) I don't have a very large invetory right now, but feel free to look!
What's your account?

8/26/2007 7:25 PM
Framed said...
My account is under Framed. I'll try to add you as a friend if that's okay and if I can figure that out.

8/26/2007 7:28 PM
Nymeth said...
"East of the Sun and West of the Moon" is my favourite fairy tale, and I didn't know this novel existed! Thank you for this review. The book sounds wonderful and I really have to read it.

8/27/2007 5:03 AM
gautami said...
It sounds interesting. I might check it out. Your reviews always interest me.

9/01/2007 8:08 AM
Framed said...
Thanks, Guatami. I think you will enjoy this book.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?