Friday, January 18, 2008

 

Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton

Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Last By the Decade Challenge Book

by Edith Wharton
Susy Branch and Nick Lansing are hangers-on of the very rich. Because of their good looks and great personality, they are popular guests and basically live on the largess of their rich friends. Then they meet and fall in love. They decide on a grand experiment. They will marry and feel they can live for a year on the wedding cheques they receive plus free stays in the honey-moon villas offered by their connections. However, Susy soon finds there are strings attached to the stay at the villa in Venice. She is asked to send a letter each week on behalf of her hostess to her husband to hide her extra-marital shenanigans. When Nick finds out, his integrity is outraged and the pair split up. The remainder of the book follows the two on their separate paths. The lack of communication between the two, their reponse to rumor and vague hints, and their ridiculous pride makes the whole novel a comedy of errors. Even though they are shallow and selfish, you can't help but like both Nick and Susy, and they definitely mature through the course of the book. It's a biting satire on the way the rich carried on in the 1920's and a fun read. And I've finished this challenge. Yay!!
Rating: 4

Posted by Framed at 7:08 PM



7 comments:
Literary Feline said...
Congratulations on finishing the challenge, Framed!

I haven't read anything by Edith Wharton, but I keep meaning to. She's a prolific writer and so there's plenty to choose from. This one does sound good.

9/26/2007 10:07 PM
Cassie said...
This sounds really interesting. I liked the other Edith Wharton book I read so I might have to check this one out.

9/27/2007 10:13 AM
Framed said...
Thanks, Wendy, it was a fun challenge. I'm writing a summary soon.

Cassie, I thought of you often while reading this, that you would like it. I'll let you read it before I mooch it away.

9/27/2007 6:01 PM
Booklogged said...
I don't know if I'm brave enough to tackle Edith Wharton, but this one sounds good.

9/28/2007 8:18 PM
DebD said...
I have yet to read an Edith Wharton. Perhaps this will the be the one.

9/29/2007 6:14 AM
gautami tripathy said...
My book seller insisted I take this book. He even gave me 30% discount on it.

Thanks for the review. I am going to read it soon!

9/29/2007 9:00 AM
Carrie K said...
I love Edith Wharton. I'll have to pick this one up, haven't read it.

You finished! Awesome. I'm hoping to catch up w/all the challenges in.....December.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?