Friday, January 18, 2008

 

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Monday, September 03, 2007
Final Newbery Challenge & First Unread Author

Karana grew up on an isolated island southwest of Low Angelos. At the age of fourteen, her life and that of the villagers around her changes forever. Aleuts visit the island to harvest otters and, after a serious altercation, leave the island with many of the village men killed. Soon another ship arrives and the remaining villagers board the ship to leave the island forever. Karana sees that her young brother is missing and swims back to the island to stay with him until the ship returns. The brother is killed by wild dogs leaving Karana to wait for the ship alone. This book tells of her struggles to survive and the friendship she develops with the lead pack dog. Eighteen years later, the ship finally returns and Karana sails away to civilization. This woman actually existed and is known as The Lost Woman of San Nicholas. The island is now the site of secret nuclear testing.

The novel reminds me a great deal of the Tom Hanks movie "Cast Away." It showcases the main character's resiliency and fortitude. It's a great book for older children. While I enjoyed it, I probably won't read it again.

Rating: 4


Posted by Framed at 12:11 PM



4 comments:
Booklogged said...
I really liked this one and probably rated it higher than you did.

9/03/2007 1:58 PM
Carrie said...
Amazingly enough, not only have I never read this book but I did not know what it was about. Therefore I appreciated reading your review and "getting a clue." Thanks!

9/08/2007 8:02 AM
Literary Feline said...
As I was re-organizing some of my bookshelves, I came across this book. It's been ages since I read it--back in elementary school probably. I was quite taken with the story back then. I wonder how I would take to it now.

Thanks for a great review!

9/08/2007 11:52 AM
Carrie K said...
I loved this book as a kid. It was one of my absolute faves.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?