Friday, January 18, 2008

 

The Tale of Despereaux by kate DiCamillo

Sunday, September 02, 2007
5th Newbery & 6th Book Award Challenge

Consequence: That which logically or naturally follows from an action or a condition; an effect; result.

"Tale" is all about the consequences of the actions of Despereaux, a pint-size mouse, who falls in love with a princess; Roscuro, a rat, seeking revenge against the princess; and Miggory Sow, a 12-year-old girl, who longs to become a princess. DiCamillo creates a fun and imaginative story revolving around these three characters and how the consequences of their actions and others move toward a heart-warming conclusion. I love how the narrator talks to the reader throughout the book. I imagined reading it to children with those great breaks in the story to more completely involve the reader. And Timothy Basil Ering's illustrations were perfect, the mouse is cute, the rat, horrible; and Miggory is comical. It was such a fun and easy book to read, well-deserving of a Newbery Award.

Rating: 4.5


Posted by Framed at 4:03 PM



4 comments:
Booklogged said...
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. When everything comes together at the end it's truly fun. However, I didn't like how the narrator talks to the reader. That part annoyed me somewhat.

I've tagged you for a meme. You can read the rules at my blog, In Seasons. You don't mind memes, do you?

9/02/2007 6:35 PM
Stephanie said...
Oh...I have this on my list to read. I have loved all the Newberry's that I've read. I'm sure this one will be no exception!

9/02/2007 7:27 PM
Nymeth said...
I've heard such good things about this one. I really need to read it.

9/03/2007 4:44 AM
Mindy Withrow said...
I loved this book, too; I reviewed it awhile back on my blog. I'm with you, Framed, in finding the narrator's asides delightful!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?