Monday, February 18, 2008

 

I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

2nds Challenge
**I was so impressed with Zusak's "The Book Thief" that I wanted to read some of his other works; and "I am the Messenger" did not disappoint.
**Ed Kennedy is your basic nineteen-year-old loser. He drives a cab because his best friend, Audrey, got him the job. He lives in the same town where he grew up even though his father died a year ago and his mother hates him. His home is a prefab shack where he lives with a smelly dog, The Doorman, inherited from his dad. The book begins with Ed lying on the floor of a bank with his friends, Marv and Ritchie, while a robbery takes place. The robber is incompetent and Ed ends up apprehending him. This act leads to a chain of events in which Ed receives four cards, beginning with the Ace of Diamonds and ending with the Ace of Hearts. Each card has clues which Ed must decipher and take action on. How Ed's life changes along with those he comes in contact with is at the heart at this fascinating novel.
**I really like the way Zusak writes and how he draws you into the lives of his characters. Ed Kennedy is a truly sympathetic and entertaining character. Some of his antics were funny, some sad and some a little scary, but always engrossing. While this book did not have the same emotional impact as "The Book Thief", it was very thought provoking and rewarding.
Rating: 5
Posted by Framed at 1:53 PM

11 comments:
raidergirl3 said...
I really loved this book too, I think I liked it even more as I remembered it afterwards. I loved Ed's faith, to do the right thing, and trust in himself to figure out what to do. Zusak is amazing - and I haven't even read The Book Thief yet, but I plan to.
11/13/2007 6:18 PM
Booklogged said...
That Zusak kid is really talented, isn't he. Both books are so different but both are so good. Hubby liked this one even better than Book Thief. I think I favored Book Thief most.
11/13/2007 8:25 PM
SuziQoregon said...
Woo Hoo!! I've got this one planned for next month for a couple of challenges. I'm really looking forward to it.
11/13/2007 9:51 PM
Joy said...
Hooray...another positive for Zusak! :)You've made me want to get to it sooner rather than later.
11/14/2007 5:28 AM
Nymeth said...
He really sounds like an author I will like. I'm going to read The Book Thief next year, and then this one at some point in the future.
11/14/2007 6:08 AM
gautami tripathy said...
I think I will read him in the new year. I have wanted to for some time now.
11/14/2007 9:16 AM
Framed said...
I envy those who get to read the Book Thief for the first time. Much as I like Messenger, I liked The Book Thief even more.
11/14/2007 8:25 PM
Orange Blossom Goddess (aka Heather) said...
This sounds really good. I haven't read The Book Thief - I'll have to add these both to my Mountain!
11/15/2007 9:34 AM
gautami tripathy said...
I need to read both!!
11/17/2007 10:40 AM
Stephanie said...
I just picked up this book from the library!! I read the first chapter last night after work, and I can tell I'm going to love it!!
11/18/2007 10:30 AM
Les said...
I must read this!! Soon!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?