Saturday, March 01, 2008

 

A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle

Saturday, December 08, 2007

2nds Challenge
"A Wind is the Door" is the sequel to L'Engle's fabulous "A Wrinkle in Time," and the perfect way to finish my 2nds Challenge. I think I liked Wind even better than Wrinkle. Maybe I find becoming microcosmically tiny and inhabiting one of your younger brother's cell structures more appealing than being transported off in space to face a menacing brain. Like Wrinkle, Wind is a classic tale of good versus evil. With the help of cherubim and farandolae, Meg and her friend, Calvin are able to triumph over the evil Echthroi and save Charles Wallace's life in the process. Even though this story is a sequel, there is no reference to the previous book, and I thought it odd that Megg seemed so surprised and disbelieving when a dragon shows up in their garden. Even so, the characters are appealing and L'Engle's writing is creative and entertaining. The messages are loud and clear: Love is necessary to overcome adversity and wrong; and even the tiniest personality can have universal impact. Who can argue with that?
Rating: 4.75
Posted by Framed at 8:54 AM

5 comments:
Nymeth said...
I bought A Wrinkle in Time just the other day. I have it on my list for the YA challenge and I really look forward to reading it. This sounds like a wonderful series.
12/08/2007 9:54 AM
Sandy D. said...
I loved the appearance of the principal in this book. Mr. Jenkins just stole the show!My son and I are now in the middle of "A Swiftly Tilting Planet", and it's just not as satisfying for us as the first two. It's still good, though, and we'll be reading "Many Waters", too. :-)
12/08/2007 4:20 PM
Candace E. Salima said...
Mmmm, sounds like I'll have to pick that up and add it to my library.By the way -- the six finalists for the Best Husband in the World contest are posted on my blogspot. Please pop on over, read through them (they really are wonderful men), vote and then spread the word far and wide. Merry Christmas!
12/10/2007 7:16 AM
Shelley said...
A Wrinkle in Time is one of my favorite books; but I've never read the others in the series. Thanks for the recommend.
12/10/2007 11:13 AM
Tristi Pinkston said...
I love this whole series -- anyone who hasn't read them is seriously missing out

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?